Krabi, Phi Phi, Phuket (Thailand)

Div (another exchanger, who studies at HKU but grew up in Uttar Pradesh, India) had planned a trip to southern Thailand to take advantage of the days off we had for Chinese New Year. I hopped on the trip quickly as I believed I would travel well with Div but really didn’t know what to expect. When I heard about it, Moira (exchanger from RVRC) was already on board. We booked our flights together. A few days later, we recruited Claire (exchanger from RVRC) to join us. The safest approach, as usual, was to expect little but hope for the best. I think I got the best.

I’m hesitating to even try to write about the trip because it was so blissful, and it’s difficult to share the experience without exaggerating or playing it down.

The plan was to fly from Singapore immediately after class last Thursday (31 January) and stay about two days each in Krabi, the Phi Phi Islands, and Phuket. We flew into Krabi (on the map below), took a ferry to the Phi Phi Islands, and ferried to Phuket.

Annoying side note – the “ph” that appears in the transliterated words from Thai (Phi Phi, Phuket) is often mistaken by English speakers as an “f” sound. The “ph” is actually to differentiate the pronunciation in these words from the other “p”-like sound in Thai. The “ph” is aspirated while a “p” in the transliteration is unaspirated. This is similar to the difference in the English pronunciation between the p in “park” (aspirated) and the p in “spot” (unaspirated). All of this to say, though, (assuming you don’t speak Thai or another language that consider /p/ and /pʰ/ different phonemes) you’re  probably closer to the true pronunciation of “Phuket” if you think of it as “Puket.”

Although each day on the trip had its incredible is-this-real moments, I have to say the tour of the Phi Phi Island and Phi Phi Ley was exceptional.  We set out mid-morning in search of a long tail boat that could help us hop from spot to spot. After some negotiating, we took up an offer for 6 hours for THB3500. Included were snorkeling masks and five different beaches/bays. We were out on the little boat, just the four of us and the navigator, before 9am. The first leg of the trip was breathtaking. We were hugging cliffs that jutted up out of the light blue waters. I was in complete awe. We snorkeled in Maya Bay, where the water was calm but clear. There was an area where you could swim under the rocks and through a hole to the other side. We continued to a few other paradise-like beaches. We anchored and took turns jumping off of the boat in Pileh Lagoon, took pictures in Loh Samah Bay, watched brightly colored fish swim about in Wang Long Bay, and took a fell asleep to our music on Monkey Beach.

Other highlights for me were night swimming our first night in Phi Phi and seeing bioluminescent plankton, watching the sunset in Phi Phi, the night market in Krabi Town with fresh fruits, meeting a couple of travelers in Krabi who were deaf and appreciating a different method of communication, the peaceful ferry trips on top of the ships with the wind in our faces, and floating on our backs in the ocean near Phra Nang Cave Beach.

Moira, Claire, and Div made my heart happy. It was such a pleasure to travel with them. Although each of us has opinions and were willing to share, everyone was easygoing and content with whatever we decided to do. It had been a while since I felt so right with a group. Traveling companions are particular types of relationships – it’s hard to find people (or a person, for that matter) with which you can spend all day, every day. I loved spending all day with them; it didn’t really matter what we were doing or where we were, I felt at home. I felt we all appreciate each other both as individuals and as part of the group dynamic. We just always seemed to be on the same wavelength.  There were silent moments and loud, crazy moments – each as enjoyable as the other.

KRABI
Pak-Up Hostel is quite niceeee. Nice facilities and a huge dog and a bar out back. Organized and clean.

Khao Khanab Nam Caves – take longtail boat from Pak Nam Park Pier, THB100 per person. We were approached by a guy who wanted to take us when we were taking a stroll on the pier. Can be done in about two hours total.

Night Market on weekends – food was great but drinks were unsatisfying.

Go to Railay beach – have to reach by boat. we went from Chao Fah Park pier, bought tickets from Pak-Up hostel. It was about USD5 if I remember right.

Railay is known for rock climbing. We were looking for bouldering over the water but evidently it’s been closed for safety reasons. There were plenty of places to top-rope, though.

West Railay beach – beautiful but has tons of rocks once you get in the water.

Ao Phra Nang Cave beach was really peaceful, a nice relief after the rockiness of West Railay beach. We would’ve stayed longer if we had the time.

Easy Café in Krabi town – not a must but is nice if you are looking for a brunch-style meal